Monday, October 29, 2007

The Camel Ride in Jaisalmer


First off, let's get one thing straight: There are no camels in Rajastan. Camels have 2 humps. Dromedaries have one hump. Rajastan is lousy with dromedaries. We took a sunset camel ride (apparently de rigeur for all visitors to the area) about 75 KM from the border w Pakistan. But we weren't on camels. (Our driver was really persnickety about this distinction)

Second off, this little girl was probably about 7 years old. Maybe 8.
She asked for money in payment for her dancing and I explained that I had left my wallet in the hotel. (Who needs a wallet on a dromedary ride?) She danced and sang and grabbed my hand to get me dancing with her and tried her damndesst to get the rings off my hands. When she finished and had neither my rings nor payment, she gave me a very rude gesture and when I laughed in surprised disbelief she gave me a saccharine smile. Very unsettling to be on the receiving end of sarcasm and aggression from a 7 year old. But it got me thinking. What happens to India if all the people who are more or less begging for a living turn hostile?

No comments: